Sunday, November 22, 2009

Just some thoughts

So, I'll be honest, I always, I mean ALWAYS, skip over the parts in the Bible that inlude lineage. Don't most people? Anyways, I was thinking about Christ's and I decided to actually read it. I went to Matthew 1 and it started with Abraham. There were a lot of familiar names on the list: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, Jesse, David, so on and so forth. I knew what these people were known for. Five women were mentioned. Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Uriaha's wife (aka Bathsheeba), and Mary. All very controversial women in their time.

Tamar was originally married to Judah's son who died, so she was given to Judah's second son. This son also died and Judah promised her that he would give her in marriage when his youngest son was old enough. Judah didn't come through so Tamar had to trick him by pretending to be a prostitute so Judah would sleep with her so she could get pregnant. I mean, even in those days, that had to be at least a little weird, right? If I heard of a woman pulling that in these days, I would jump to conclusions. Never in a million years would I think that she would be in the direct lineage of the One who conquered death, the One I call my Savior? No way.

Rahab was a prostitute. She was considered righteous for hiding the spies who were sent over by Joshua. "I know that the LORD has given this land to you and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you. We have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely destroyed. When we heard of it, our hearts melted and everyone's courage failed because of you, for the LORD your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below. Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them, and that you will save us from death." The part that sticks out to me about that is that she admits, the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below. She believed in God and it was credited to her as righteousness. But a prostitute? As Christ's how ever many greats grandmother? I can't imagine.

Ruth. The widow who God redeemed through Boaz (Rahab's son). Wow.

Bathsheeba. Really? The woman who cheated on her husband who was at war with a king? Yeah. She's in there too.

And Mary. That sweet girl with a willing heart. She sacrificed more than anyone could ever know to simply follow God's will for her life. But still, pregnant before she was married, and claimed the Holy Spirit concieved this child in her? Okay, say Christ hadn't come yet and I was a Jew. There is NO WAY IN HECK I would believe her! Really? You're a virgin and you're pregnant? I would say she was either a liar or that she had gone completely crazy.


The hope that I get from reading about these women is that we ALL fall short of the glory of God. We ALL sin. And although our sin does temporarily seperate us from God, it does not, however, change how deeply He loves us. It does not alter His plan and it does not keep Him from using us for His glory. The thing that all these women have in common: a willing heart. They knew God and they knew that He was faithful and just to forgive them of their sins. These women sinned severly against God, but through them, my Savior was born. Through most unperfect, weakest of the weak women came the One with the power to overcome death itself. God can and use me, not in spite of my weaknesses, but BECAUSE of my weaknesses. His strength was made perfect in their weaknesses, and now in mine. He can do great things with just a willing heart. And we sometimes go through things that are not our fault in any way, shape, or form, and yet we seem to be getting punished for it? He can and will accomplish great things in situations such as that. Mary had Christ, for goodness sake. Surely I can trust that God will work my situation, which is nothing compared to what Mary went through, for His will and His glory.

Anyways, these are just some thoughts I have. I miss and love you all!

1 comment:

shanna said...

Oh but for the grace of God...